Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Age 5 - KG

KG. Kilogram. Thats what I thought it to be when I got into Class KG. It took me lots and lots of time to realize it was kindergarden not kilogram!

The teacher had written with red ink in my nursery report card - "He is a talkative boy..." Talkative. It was a matter of interest at home with grandpa and dad teased me about it. KG was the first class where I really made friends. Friends who I remember even today. There was Pranab Barua, the shy joking fella, who was in my "Gang" apart from Sabhyasachi and Haimanta Dawar. We were the big bosses in the class- the "good" gang while there was a team of "bad" gang lead by a guy called Biswajit.

Just a bit of interesting trivia for you.... Sabhyasachi is another name for Arjuna from the MAHABHARAT legend... the name sabhyasachi was conferred upon Arjuna because of his ability to shoot arrows with both his hands.. But my friend did not have such luck- he didnt have a bow nor was he ambidextrous!

I dont remember much of Class KG. There was however one incident which has stuck in my mind.

One day, the teacher did not come to class. There was a huge ruckus. every one was shouting and playing and causing a big tantrum. I was the captain of the class. Being "captain" was a matter of honour and I felt responsible for the whole class. Maybe there was a part of me which loved to lead, which loved to be responsible for everything.
The noise in the classroom was like a bone in my throat. I tried to keep everything in control but in vain. Biswajit and his gang were doing their best to amplify the noise....

All of a sudden the teacher came in from nowhere.

There was pin-drop silence in the class. No one moved a muscle. The teacher gave everyone a good hearing and told us that she was not feeling well. She moved out of the class.

5 Seconds passed.

The tantrum started again. Biswajit was in top form trying to re-create the havoc. I jumped into action. I shouted out loud, as loud as i could "Madam LOOK AT BISWAJIT..."

The teacher came back. A bamboo cane was in her hand. I looked at Biswajit and then towards my teacher.

"Rohit, come here" - the teacher shouted. I was astonished to hear my name being called. " I could hear your voice shouting... You are the main culprit...she banged. I pleaded my innocence. My heart beat stopped for a moment. This couldn't be true. I was trying to do good...

The stick came down hard about 5 times. I could only hold back tears and really not understanding why God was unfair....

This incident had a big impact in my life. It signified that everytime you do right, you don't get your returns immediately. Speaking the truth could lead to trouble at times. But that trouble is worth taking. n yes, truth makes everthing very simple - telling a lie could mean telling a hundred more lies in support of the first one, leading to unnecessary complications.

I am proud to remember that I tried to do good that day.

What do you say?

No comments: